20 Things About Me:
- Shannon is my middle name, and I have never gone by my first name.
- I love visiting national parks. They fill me with wonder at the beauty of nature.
- I met my husband (and best friend) in our doctoral program in environmental studies. He is a truly good-hearted person and the love of my life.
- Having children is the best thing I’ve ever done. Love our two young men!
- I have copy- and content-edited several text books and guide books, as well as dozens of white papers, journal articles and web sites. I also have been/am the author/editor of two newsletters, including Collegeville Matters.
- I grew up in rural Virginia, and spend time there with my parents whenever I can; it’s truly wonderful when my sister joins us! Yep, I love my family.
- I think volunteering builds a better society. My first volunteer job was as a counselor for a crisis hotline; now I volunteer at my son’s school on a regular basis. And my family and I volunteer most Friday evenings at the local food pantry.
- My favorite album of all time is The Clash’s “London Calling”.
- I have a bachelor of science degree in business management, and masters degrees in urban environmental planning, and environmental studies.
- I worked at Ursinus college for five years. While there, I collaborated with faculty and staff in all areas of the college to write the sustainability plan. It’s about 500 pages long. I left my job at Ursinus to pursue my art full time.
- I’m not much of a shopper, but I started shopping at thrift shops when I was 12, and I still love finding that diamond in the rough!
- I was a founding member and vice chair of a community visioning organization in rural Virginia.
- Dog person!! I love our dog, and he is afraid of vultures.
- I am the set artist for the musicals at Perkiomen Valley High School, and used to design and paint the sets for PV middle school – East. Painting on a large scale is amazing!
- Kathryn Janeway is the best Captain. Jyn Erso is my favorite hero. Star Trek vs. Star Wars? Both please.
- I have lived in Collegeville for 15 years. I love it’s walkable streets, excellent restaurants, small town feeling, and the beautiful college campus in our town.
- I grew up in a small town, I have researched and written about the connections between people and their communities, and I have worked to create community wherever I have lived.
- Mint chip ice cream rocks.
- I read a lot of books and have a hard time putting them down. I’ve been known to read well into the night if it’s a particularly captivating read. Historical fiction and non-fiction are two of my favorite genres.
- I believe that voting is one of the most powerful ways that you can use your voice in our community, state and country. It certainly has the biggest bang for the buck: spend an hour of your time twice a year (primary and Election) and know that you have participated in our democracy. How much better does it get than that? Please vote!
Well rounded thinker (business mindset in addition to being an artist)
Need help finding out how and where to vote? Visit Montgomery Voter Services.
Want to know more? Head on over to my Meet the Candidates Forum and join the discussion.