Sarah Calvin is running for Trappe Borough Council. Don’t know much about her? Read on.
20 Things About Me:
- For most of high school and college my nick name was Calvin, that was a direct result of there being many Sarah’s in my grade.
- I have two wonderful children, Miles (7) and Layla (5) and in December my husband Jason and I will celebrate our 10 year anniversary.
- I traveled to Japan for two weeks by myself after college, but I never ate sushi as I dislike the texture.
- I sing along very badly with the radio when i get the chance. Currently my car karaoke of choice is Hamilton, and I’m sad to say that I do not keep up.
- We drink an excessive amount of coffee in our house, mostly Old City.
- When I have free time, which is in short supply lately, I read. My husband likes to say that we don’t have a book problem, we have a lack of shelving problem.
- I have a BFA in fine art photography and a minor literature.
- I found out that I needed glasses while at college, during the quarter that I was taking jewelry making, a lit course called “the novel”, another lit course called “Shakespeare tragedies”, and my normal photography classes. Over taxing my eyes shed some light on the vision problems of the future!
- I grew up in the historic town of Lexington MA, so the historic nature of Trappe has a lot of appeal for raising my children.
- One of my guilty pleasures are the sour gummies at Ikea.
- While I have a 5 year old girl, I have in fact, never seen Frozen.
- One of my favorite activities is going to the Zoo with my family. We sometimes take day trips to check out other zoos in different states.
- I love cold and rainy days. They are the perfect opportunity to sit with a cup of coffee or even tea (earl grey, hot) and read books under a blanket.
- One of my first jobs out of college was fundraising. I was a member of the Communication workers of America, and I was a paid fundraiser for groups like, The Southern Poverty Law Center, The Human Rights Campaign, DNC, and the Kerry Campaign.
- Way back in the early 90’s I went to a private school where I would bump into Joe Kennedy II, picking up his son (now congressman Kennedy)
- The summer between my junior and senior year of high school, I spent a month hiking in Wyoming. It was a wonderful course through a school called the National Outdoor Leadership School or NOLS.
- I grew up Cycling. We would go on long rides almost every weekend, and every mothers day my family would drive from Mass. to Ohio so that we could participate in something called the Tour of the Scioto River Valley. In two days we would ride from Columbus to Portsmouth Ohio and back, 105miles each way. I used to love that trip, as it was one of the few times of year that I was allowed almost unlimited candy.
- I have a very large fluffy black dog named Tucker, whom we think is a Newfoundland and Lab mix. He turned 10 this year, we rescued him from the Mecklenburg County animal Control center in Charlotte NC.
- I work at a spiral stair company, in what I consider one of my most graceful moments, fell off the bottom step of a straight stair and broke my wrist. It is healed, but the memory of my clumsiness lives on.
- Slightly more seriously, if it weren’t for my children, I wouldn’t be running for office.
Loving the obsession with coffee and reading. Knowledge is Power. Children as her inspiration to get involved, priceless.
Need help finding out how and where to vote? Visit Montgomery Voter Services.
Want to know more? Head on over to my Meet the Candidates Forum and join the discussion.